Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Little Indie Roundtable Review - w/e March 31 2017




This week our three guest reviewers take on another five new tracks and give them a spin through the headphones before they then air their opinion on each.

This week's panel: emerging Preston teen songstress Pip Hall; booker with Lost In The Manor, Giedre Zaveckaite; Little Indie contributor Danny Shackleton.


BLOODY BEACH - YOU'LL BE FINE, SISTER
Nordic indie surf punks Bloody Beach release new album ‘Boys’, the follow-up to their critically acclaimed debut album, ’Bloody Beach Pirate Radio Presents’, via Brilliance Records in May. Ahead of the album release, the band reveal this lead single that fuses psychedelic pop, surfrock, dub and afrobeat.

Pip Hall: I instantly feel like it's a combination of The Growlers and Alex Turner. I like the raw vocals too. 2/5

Giedre Zaveckaite: Perfect for the forthcoming summer, very beach-like. Love the energy. 4/5

Danny Shackleton: The same melody throughout doesn’t really reach out to me but the vocals are good. It’s like something you’d hear on the next Fifa soundtrack. 2.5/5

Total score: 8.5/15




EAT FAST - SCRAMBLED EGG
The Newcastle fuzzy noise outfit, newly signed to Cannibal Hymns, are to release their second EP, 'Immortal Kombat' from which this sharp bruiser of a lead single comes.

PH: I love the lo-fi sound they have, it's really easy listening for me as this is the kind of stuff that I brought myself up on. They remind me so much of FIDLAR or Dead Ghosts and I can't get enough of distorted guitars. 4/5

GZ: To be fair, not the biggest fan of grunge/garage like tracks, but lovely production on this one. I’m sure they’d blow my mind live. 3.5/5

DS: Breezy vocals make it quite an easy listen and I like the chorus, but the guitars need to be louder in the mix for me. The screaming in background is subtle but a good addition. Gets better with every listen I’ve found. 3.5/5

Total score: 11/15




LUPA J - PUT ME BACK TOGETHER
"Australia's answer to Grimes", aka 19-year-old Sydney artist Lupa J, put out this latest single on March 17. Driven by bold, electronically inspired beats that meld with her angelic vocals, the lyrics explore themes of relationship dynamics, and emotional expression.

PH: The vocals immediately grab me with their dreamy echoes. Being a lover of synths I can't fault their appearance here. 3/5

GZ: Not something I usually listen to, but after a few listens, it definitely grew on it. Dance track, yet very emotional and dark. Reminds me a bit of Fever Ray and Röyksopp. Love the violin in the end of the track, gonna give half a point for the strings touché. 4.5/5

DS: She creates a relaxed atmosphere with her almost whispered vocals, but doesn’t get going as much as you’d expect after the intro. Not the type of music I’d usually listen to, but it’s not unlistenable by any means. 3/5

Total score: 10.5/15




GRACES - SMILE
Self-produced new single from ex-Over and Out member Steve Harrison, who Little Indie first featured back in 2015, then as a solo Grace. Since expanded to a quartet, based in Sheffield, here producing cinematic indie pop, combining ambient soundscapes, distorted guitars and recognisable pop sensibilities.

PH: The slow build up intrigued me and I wasn't disappointed. Love the lyrics, vocals, and crunchy guitars. 4/5

GZ: All helter-skelter like. Very energetic, yet very chaotic at the same time. I remember Grace as a solo act, so wasn’t expecting anything like this. 3/5

DS: After the slightly too long intro, it really gets going into a happy sound which grabs you as soon as you hear Steve’s vocals; when the drums kick in, it makes for a really good song. One to be added to my playlist that’s for sure. 4/5

Total score: 11/15




KUDU BLUE - SUGAR LEMZ
Brighton-based quartet release their self-produced debut EP ‘Shaded’ on April 28. This single cut highlights singer Clementine Douglas's rich neo-soul, jazz-inflected vocals over brooding, expansive electronics. "Sugar Lemz is intentionally something a bit different from the other music we have put out. We wanted to make a chilled track that you could put on in the living room at 5am after a heavy night.”

PH: Very chilled and current with a slow burning pulse. 3/5

GZ: Loooove this. Feel-good R&B paired with sexy electronic vibes. Really enjoying Clementine’s voice. Looking forward to hearing more of them. 4.5/5

DS: Certainly a song for the end of a night - which is what they set out to do, so I can’t fault them for that, but I like a hook in the songs I listen to and this just doesn’t quite have that. 3/5

Total score: 10.5/15


No comments:

Post a Comment